Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Mix Tape Hamlet

·          
Pink Floyd- What Do You Want From Me
I chose this song because it’s mixed and a little puzzling like Hamlet was during that entire play. Also, the chorus is very crucial because it reminds me of the thoughts going through one's head. The lyrics are also very appropriate for the ghost scene too. This song metaphorically represents the moments before Hamlet sees the ghost of his father and what he was thinking as he is going to see him. “You’re so hard to please what you want from me” is perhaps the lyrics that relate to the ghost scene the most because Hamlet is faces with the ghost of his father and he doesn’t know what the ghost wants from him but wants to know what the ghost wants from him as supported by the following lines:” Ah, poor ghost!” “Speak I’m ready to hear you.”

Trapt- Stand Up
I selected this song for this play not only because of the lyrics but because of the aggression in the song. Hamlet was furious when his father told him he was assassinated. The hostility in this song appears to be uncontrollable just like Hamlet's. This song is hypothetically represents Hamlet's reasoning and incentive for his revenge the moment after hearing the news that Claudius was the one that killed his father. The most important lyrics of this song are as follows:” I have had enough Walk away before I finish what you started Face to face I will push you in your place End this game before I finish what you started Face to face everything will change”. This songs relates the most to the scene that Hamlet dedicates himself to seek revenge for his father’s death.”That youth and observation copied there; And thy commandment all alone shall live Within the book and volume of my brain, Unmix'd with baser matter: yes, by heaven!” These lines from “Hamlet” support my previous statement because Hamlet states that he will follow the ghost’s commandments which is to take revenge for his death.”

Ozzy Osbourne- Crazy Train
I selected this song because it’s perfect to portray someone’s initiation into the world of madness. Hamlet goes crazy when he finds out that his uncle murdered his father and that Hamlet dedicates himself to seeking revenge for his father’s murder. Another character that this song relates to is Ophelia because she goes crazy when her father is murder. The most important lyrics from this song are:” Mental wounds not healing Life’s a bitter shame I’m going off the rails on a crazy train” These lyrics relate more to Hamlet the moment he becomes crazy when he becomes dedicated to murder his uncle because he was the one responsible for his father’s  assassination. Hamlet is so crazy that in fact in the play he pretends to be crazy! Which in general just makes him seem even crazier because of how far he intends to go in order to seek revenge for his father’s murder. The relation to between the song and the play should not be left out when talking about Ophelia. The reason I strongly believe this is because Ophelia ends up becoming the direct representation of madness in the play.

The Clash-Should I Stay or Should I go.
The reason why I chose this song is because it just fits right at home with “Hamlet” and the protagonists attitude toward life or death. In the play “Hamlet” we are shown one of the most famous line in literature history “To be or not to be.”. To live or not to live. In the song “Should I Stay or Should I Go” by the clash the following lyrics” Should I stay or should I go? If I go there will be trouble An if I stay it will be double” I would say it’s almost a direct relation between Hamlets suicidal thoughts when he discovers about his father’s murder. Another direct relation from the song is Hamlets insecurity about the question “To be or not to be” Hamlet falls into a pit of despair because he doesn’t know what to do he believes death will set him free from despair.” This indecisions bugging me Esta undecision me molesta If you don't want me, set me free.” These lyrics are a representation of Hamlets indecisive attitude.


No comments:

Post a Comment